Asparagus Milanese With Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Fresh asparagus and Extra Virgin Olive Oil are the stars of this elegant and healthy dish.
Extra Virgin Olive Oil is the highest grade of olive oil you can get. It is a classification that is stipulated by strict European laws.
This oil must be made exclusively from the first, cold press and can only be pressed by mechanical methods of separation such as hydraulic press or a centrifuge. No chemicals may be used.
Before the oil is bottled, it is tested for acidity; O.8% or lower. Some of the best Extra Virgin Olive Oils have acidity as low as .1%! Simply for comparison, non-extra virgin olive oils can have acidity levels anywhere between 0.08 and 2%. Acidity greatly affects the flavor of the end product.
- 1 lb. Green Asparagus
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 4 eggs
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Extra Virgin Olive oil
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Fill a fry pan with 1 inch of water and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Add asparagus, cover and cook until bright green and crisp-tender for 3 to 4 minutes. Drain.
- In a pan over medium heat, melt butter. Carefully break eggs into pan and season with salt and pepper, cook until slightly set.
- Transfer asparagus and eggs to a plate with the eggs placed on top of the asparagus.
Drizzle with olive oil, balsamic vinegar (if desired) and sprinkle with Parmesan Cheese. Serve immediately. The runny yolk will emulsify with the oil and vinegar to create a beautiful dressing.